Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: Weird Song Intros?

  1. #51
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Benrand,
    Good suggestion, unfortunately I already transcribed Song For America in the Progressive Rock feature I did for Drum! a couple of years ago. I have a Cars intro already selected. Are you clairvoyant?

  2. #52
    Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Posts
    1,335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, as Rudy said, I've given ya just about every other genre except 'relatively recent rock!' [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] Oh well, durn drummaz, what're ya gonna do.

    Eh, here's another obvious one...i don't know if anyone has mentioned it here; it was mentioned at some point recently in some thread, but Steve Winwood's "Higher Love" off "Back in the High Life" has that great JR [or Mickey Curry? from Bryan Adams] intro, that if you're thinking it starts on the one, it throws you when the tune comes in. Great & classic intro!

    Any of you 'slightly older' 80s holdouts [img]wink.gif[/img] have a clue as to the title of that [the-] Firm rock tune that had lots of radioplay w the 'off-beat' drum intro? I thought it was Radioactive, but now I don't think that's the right tune...Anyway...ramblin' topic side-road...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 02, 2005 12:26 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

  3. #53
    Inactive Member numeroUnoHODfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    406
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay, okay... it took eons to sift thru the suggestions for this way kewl topic, so here goes my Fitty Sent song-o-da-day:

    The group - The Police
    The album - Synchronicity
    The drummer - Stewart Copeland
    The track - Murder By Numbers

    It's not 'til Gordon Sumner starts his vocal that I can actually "find" One.

    ...either that, or I'm need to go back to Kindergarten...

  4. #54
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    There are lots of great ideas coming in. I'd rather have more ideas to sift through than not enough, so if you just know a song, regardless of style where your sense of "oneness" is tripped up in the intro - suggest it. It may not suit the article's needs, but it'll make the thread better. I need about 15 tunes, and already had 40 or so before I posted anything here. You guys have helped me already find some more songs to make the article more balanced and representative of more than just a single style. Again...thanks!

  5. #55
    Inactive Member Rhythmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2004
    Posts
    206
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Robben Ford and the Blue Line "Handful of Blues" has a tune called "Tired of Talkin'" that will definately throw you on first listening. After you hear the lick again leading into the other verses you can easily find 1 but the intro is one of those "trick your ear" things. It merely starts on the third partial of the triplet on beat one but your ear will catch it as a downbeat.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #56
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First track of the first Toto record, Child's Anthem. I'm sure CBrady transribed it...what does it start on? 2nd 8th note triplet of one?

    Danny

  7. #57
    Inactive Member benrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    1,491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are you clairvoyant?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, but I can see things before they happen. j/k

    Actually, I pulled a Cars DVD from DaD and was watching it, and thinking, that intro threw me to "You're all I've got tonight". They could write some really interesting songs, plus great drumming.

    BTW, when is the drummers weekend thing at your shop?

  8. #58
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm on a roll here tonight, so I'll add some magic to this thread too...

    OK, cool and weird intros or whatever...

    -First song on the debut John Mayer album (listen to how the drummer comes in!)

    -"Ladybug" by the most unsung band on earth: SEED. The most musical drum intro I have EVER HEARD on a pop/rock album. So good, it's HAUNTING!

    -"Sickening" by MESHUGGAH.

    -"Flattening of Emotions" by DEATH.

    -"Lack of Comprehension" by DEATH.

    -"Sentiment" by CYNIC. Crazy 5/something.

    -"Uroboric Forms" by CYNIC.

    -"Seven Days" by Sting, of course.

    ummm... there's many more...

  9. #59
    Inactive Member Clintuplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    559
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Got another one, one that has always thrown me until I count it, and I can never make it sound like Tony.
    Proto-Cosmos. Wierd tune...wierd.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes! The fills he plays in the 3/4 bars throw me every time. That's one thing that I love about that tune. Chambers, Wackerman and Husband play it with a more concrete sense of where the time is IMO.

  10. #60
    Inactive Member benrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    1,491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A friend programmed that song into his sequencer and we traded solos over that chorus (if that's what it is) for an hour or so.

    it was a blast. I think he purposely left "one" out of his fills. VERY difficult to get back to the phrase.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •